Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Method of teaching maths

The Insight Method of Teaching MathI have a different way of teaching math. Essentially, students learn concepts/mental models when they have insights while solving problems. I do not first explain how to solve the problem.
Unlike the standard way of teaching math:
my way is effective
my way can be enjoyable
my way is supported by a legitimate theory of learning
my way teaches the more general skills of thinking and solving problems
The standard approach to teach math is built on the assumption that all learning is memory. That theory is contraindicated by the evidence; learning memories is not enjoyable; and memorizing is not a particularly useful skill. And for all that, people forget their memories and don't learn math. It's a disaster and a tragedy.

No comments: